Romance scammers hide behind fake online profiles which are designed to grab your attention. They gain your trust over time. Once they have this, they’ll try to manipulate you into believing they have health issues, family problems, travel expenses or other personal issues. They’ll usually ask for financial assistance or gifts and can be very convincing. It can be easy to believe they’re genuine because they’ve taken a long time to build a relationship with you.
- Fast and intense declarations of love
- A preference to communicate through email or instant messaging rather than an official dating platform
- A change from affection to desperation or threats if you don’t meet their requests
- They’ll usually make a small request first to test if you’ll comply with a bigger request later
- Preying on a vulnerability such as isolation, age or language barrier.