SMS code is an additional layer of security to protect you when banking or shopping online.
For certain transactions, you’ll be sent an SMS code to your registered Australian mobile number which you will need to input in order to complete the transaction.
It helps to ensure that your account is better protected from fraudulent activity. After all, in 2020, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission reported that Australians lost $634 million to fraud and scams.
According to the 22 June 2020 Australian Competition and Consumer Commission report ‘Targeting Scams 2019’.
If you’re using the Bankwest App or Bankwest Online Banking, or if you’ve got a Bankwest Mastercard® or Debit Mastercard for personal use:
You’ll get an SMS code when you’re:
- Adding or paying a new BPAY® or Pay Anybody recipient
- Making a BPAY or Pay Anybody payment above a certain dollar amount
- Making an international transfer to someone overseas
- Increasing your daily limits
- Resetting a forgotten password online
- Activating your debit or credit card or choosing a new PIN
- Changing your secret questions or updating your contact details
- Shopping online with your Bankwest Mastercard® or Debit Mastercard on sites that show the Mastercard® SecureCode™ logo.
If you’re using a business Bankwest credit or debit Mastercard:
Shopping online with your Bankwest business Mastercard or Debit Mastercard on sites that show the Mastercard® SecureCode™ logo.
As long as your correct primary Australian mobile number is registered with us, you’ll get this SMS code. If you don’t have an Australian mobile number registered with us, call us on 1300 440 749 or contact your Relationship Manager. Keep in mind that if we don’t have your correct mobile number to send SMS codes to, there could be an increased chance of fraudulent activity or loss of funds on your card, and you may not be able to complete certain online transactions.
Living in a rural area or overseas?
If you won’t be able to get SMS code due to rural connectivity or because you’re living overseas, you could apply for a temporary or permanent exemption. Contact us on 1300 440 749 (or on +61 8 9449 2840 from overseas), or contact your Relationship Manager. Note that calls made overseas from landlines or mobiles will be subject to standard international call rates.
Not what you were looking for? See all online banking questions.