What identification documents do I need?

There may be times when we need to check your ID to confirm your identity (it’s a security thing). Use our handy checklist to see what documents we’ll accept.

Confirming your identity online

Our electronic ID check is available when you apply for an account online.

You’ll need at least two forms of the following identification:

Australian driver's licence

You'll need to provide all the information below:

  • State of issue
  • Licence number
  • Expiry date.


Medicare card

You’ll need to provide all the information below:

  • Medicare number (10 digit number on top of your card)
  • Individual card reference number (this is the 1 digit number to the left of your name)
  • Name as it appears on your card
  • Card colour
  • Card’s valid date.


Passport (all countries)

Foreign Passports must be current.
Australian Passports must be issued by the Commonwealth and not expired more than two years ago. 

You’ll need to provide some or all of the information below:

  • Country of issue
  • Passport number
  • Expiry date
  • Place of birth as stated on your passport
  • Country of birth
  • Family name at birth (Australian passports only)
  • Family name at citizenship (if you’re using an Australian passport but you were born overseas).


Some general things to know about the ID check...

Confirming your identity in person

Visit a Bankwest store and provide originals of... 

One of the following photographic identification documents:

  • Australian passport issued by the Commonwealth (current or less than two years expired)
  • Current foreign passport
  • Current Australian driver’s licence, including learner’s permit
  • Current Australian government issued proof of age card
    • NSW photo card and birth card
    • WA photo card.


Two of the following non-photographic identification documents:

  • Australian or foreign birth certificate
  • Australian birth certificate extract
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Foreign citizenship certificate
  • Current pension card or health care card issued by Centrelink that entitles you to financial benefits.


One item from the non-photographic identification documents listed above AND one from the following secondary identification documents list (a total of two items):

  • Current foreign driver’s licence
  • Current notice that was issued to you by a local government body or utilities provider e.g. gas, electricity, water, rates within the preceding 3 months that:
    • Contains your name and residential address
    • Records the provision of services by the local government body or utilities provider to you at that address
  • Australian Taxation Office notice issued within the preceding 12 months which contains your name and residential address and records a debt payable to you, or by you, to the Commonwealth
  • Current security guard/crowd safety officer ID card
  • If you’re under 18, a notice issued and signed within the last three months by a School Principal that contains your name, residential address and how long you’ve attended the school.


Some general things to know about the ID check...

Confirming your identity via Australia Post

Visit an Australia Post Bank@Post outlet with sufficient original ID documents and the relevant identity verification form from the following list:

Transaction and Savings Accounts Identity Verification Form (PDF)
Credit Card Identity Verification Form (PDF)
Personal Loans Identity Verification Form (PDF)
Mortgagor Identity Verification Form (PDF)

Check the relevant form to see what ID documents you’ll need to provide. Note that the ID documents Australia Post will accept as verification is more limited than what we accept directly at Bankwest.

Applying for an account as a Student and under 18 years old?

You can print and complete the Student Banking Identity Verification Form (PDF). Get copies of your ID documents certified by your teacher, doctor, pharmacist… and post them to Bankwest free of charge.


If you’ll be signing and executing your documents outside of Australia, you’ll need to have your identity verified for mortgage purposes. Please speak to your lender for more information.

Why we need to check your ID

Bankwest is required under the AML/CTF Act 2006 to identify you prior to providing you with a designated service, such as:

  • When you’re opening a new account
  • When you’re becoming a signatory to an existing account
  • When we take out a Mortgage as security for your loan. This is called Mortgagor Identity Verification
  • When you are reclaiming funds from an inactive account which has been closed
  • When reclaiming funds from ASIC for a closed inactive account.


Make sure your ID documents are in the same name you provide to Bankwest

Also, ID documents that you provide need to list your full name and date of birth and/or residential address.

What if your documents arent in English? 

An English translation from an accredited translator (NAATI translation) is required. 

What if I’m overseas?

If you’ll be signing and executing documents overseas, we’ll need you to verify your ID. To verify your ID, you’ll need to take an Australian Embassy/High Commission/Consulate Identity/Witnessing Certification Form (PDF) or/and an Identity Witnessing Certification Form (PDF) to an Australian Embassy or Consulate.

Need more help?

If you still need help you can speak to someone from the team.