In a nutshell, SMS code is a second layer of protection when you’re banking or shopping online that confirms it’s really you who’s completing a transaction – not a fraudster. Registering for SMS code allows you to access all the functions that Bankwest Online Banking and the Bankwest App have to offer. It’s also nice and easy to use.
- Log in to online banking
- Click 'My details' > 'My security settings'
- Click 'Activate SMS code'.
You'll be asked to set up some secret questions and confirm your mobile number.
- If you’re new to online banking, you'll get an automatic prompt to upgrade your security when you first log in
- You'll only need to enter an SMS code for purchases above a certain amount
- If you’re being prompted to enter an SMS code but you don’t have your mobile phone handy, please call us on 13 17 19 and we’ll help you.
To help better protect you against fraudulent activity when you’re shopping online with your Bankwest business credit or debit card, you’ll get an SMS code when you’re making purchases on sites that show the Mastercard® SecureCode™ logo.
As long as your correct primary Australian mobile number is registered with us, you’ll get this SMS code. If you don’t have an Australian mobile number registered with us, call us on 1300 440 749 or contact your Relationship Manager. Keep in mind that if we don’t have your correct mobile number to send SMS codes to, there could be an increased chance of fraudulent activity or loss of funds on your card, and you may not be able to complete certain online transactions.
If you won’t be able to get SMS code due to rural connectivity or because you’re living overseas, you could apply for a temporary or permanent exemption. Contact us on 1300 440 749 (or on +61 8 9449 2840 from overseas), or contact your Relationship Manager. Note that calls made overseas from landlines or mobiles will be subject to standard international call rates.
Not what you were looking for? See all online banking questions.