How much deposit will I need? 

We get it. Owning your own home isn’t as easy as it used to be. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t still possible. A good strategy and a little bit of planning can help you get there.

The deposit

If you’re not lucky enough to have a huge stash of cash in the bank (and let’s face it, not many of us are!) you may need to get a home loan. And for a home loan you’ll need a deposit - a percentage of the price of the property you want to buy in cash. The home loan covers the rest of the property price, but you’ll need to provide the deposit. 

Illustration of a hand holding a piggy bank

How much do I need to secure a home loan?

In most cases home loan lenders will lend up to a maximum of 80% of the property purchase value (or more with Lenders Mortgage Insurance). If you were to borrow 80%, you’d need to come up with the other 20% (your deposit).  So for a property of $400,000 for example, you’ll need to have a cash deposit of $80,000 (20%).

A good strategy and a little bit of planning can help you get there.

The pros and cons of smaller deposits

$80,000 is a lot of money. When you have rent and bills and groceries to pay for, it’s not easy to save that much. Some lenders understand this and to help you get into your own home faster, will allow you to borrow more than 80% of the property’s value. Some will offer up to 95%. This means your deposit will be 5%, plus the associated purchase costs. Based on the $400,000 property example above, 5%  would be $20,000 - a bit more doable.
But of course, a smaller deposit comes with greater risk. If interest rates rise or unexpected expenses pop up and you’re borrowing at maximum capacity, you could get caught short. Because there’s a greater risk, you also have to pay Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI) ? Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI) is insurance to protect your lender if you have trouble with your repayments in the future. LMI can be an added expense when you’re buying your home, but you can avoid it if you save more than 20% of the value of your property to pay as a deposit.  Close  for any deposit under 20%. LMI is paid to the bank’s insurer to cover the bank in the event you default on your home loan (borrowings above a loan to value ratio of 80/20 are considered ‘higher risk’). You can pay your LMI as part of your deposit, or depending on how much LMI you have to pay, you can add it to your Home Loan.

Illustration of four towers of coins, with a hand adding another coin

Getting a bit of help – guarantor loans

If saving a deposit is challenging and you want to live in your own home sooner, you may be able to get help from family who can act as a guarantor on the loan. The guarantor - which must be an immediate adult family member - agrees to use the equity in their property as additional security for your property, instead of a deposit. Keep in mind that your family guarantor might need to have their mortgage with the same bank, so they may need to consider moving their home loan.
As the borrower, you’ll need to be able to repay the home loan like normal. Once you’ve paid off part of the loan or your property has increased in value, you can apply to remove the guarantee, which means your family member will no longer be liable for any default on the repayments.

To find out more about our Family Guarantee option, speak to a Home Loan Specialist.

Other Costs

It’s important to factor in all the costs of buying a home. As well as the deposit, there are some other upfront fees you’ll need to cover. This includes (but is not limited to): 

  • Mortgage Registration Fee
  • Transfer Fee (or commonly referred to as “Transfer of Title Fee”)
  • Title Search Fee
  • Stamp Duty
  • Pest and Building Inspections
  • Home Building Insurance 
  • Calculate your home loan fees

Start planning and you could be moving into your home sooner than you think. Good luck!

Start planning and you could be moving into your home sooner than you think.

Need some help with saving?

Browse our range of saving accounts

Things you should know

The information contained in this article is of a general nature and is not intended to be nor should it be considered as professional advice. You should not act on the basis of anything contained in this article without first obtaining specific professional advice. Also to the extent permitted by law, Bankwest, a division of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL/Australian credit licence 234945, its related bodies corporate, employees and contractors accept no liability or responsibility to any persons for any loss which may be incurred or suffered as a result of acting on or refraining from acting as a result of anything contained in this article. Family Guarantee is available to owner occupiers only. Immediate family member means a parent, adult child, sibling, grandparent, spouse/defacto spouse or legally appointed guardian of the borrower.