You can prevent identity theft by protecting your personal information. Criminals will try to obtain your personal information so that they can impersonate you online and then fraudulently withdraw your money or open a credit card in your name. Thankfully, there are simple yet effective ways to safeguard your identity.
- Create strong, secure passwords, and change them regularly.
- Don’t open any suspicious, unexpected or unusual emails.
- Be careful what personal information you publish on public forums and social networks.
- Manage your cookies and browsing history via your web browser.
- Carefully dispose of documents that include personal information. Destroy or shred them properly.
- Never pre-sign cheques or forms.
- When sending cheques via the post, cross the cheque 'Not Negotiable' if possible and send it in a plain envelope.
- Don’t give out your personal information over the phone to telemarketers.
- Lock your letterbox so personal mail can’t be read or stolen.
- Expected but missing mail.
- Bills for goods and services you didn’t buy.
- Arrival of new credit you didn’t apply for.
- Unauthorised or suspicious transactions billed to your account.
- Calls or letters from creditors, debt collectors or solicitors about transactions you didn’t make.
- Requests for your Bankwest secure code or Personal Identification Number (PIN). Remember, Bankwest will NEVER ask you to provide such information by email or over the phone.
- Request a free copy of your personal credit file from Veda.
- Change your passwords for any online and phone banking.
- If you believe you are a victim of identity theft, call us immediately on 1300 368 748.
- Contact the police and any relevant organisations to report the crime.
If you’re keen to know more check out ScamWatch
or view the ID Theft Booklet – Protecting your identity
by the Australian Government.
How can we help?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding Bankwest security or privacy please contact us immediately.
- Personal banking customers please call us on 1300 368 748
- Business banking customers please call us on 13 7000
- If you spot a suspicious email forward it to email@example.com