ways to protect your credit card online
07 January 2011
Shopping online with a credit card has become a popular way to purchase goods and services using the Internet, due to its convenience and access to a wide range of products and services. Purchasing goods via the Internet is safe, but you should still take care to protect your credit card when shopping online.
At Bankwest, we take your online security and protection seriously. We use 128-bit SSL encryption - the highest commercially available security standard in Australia.
If you make an online credit card application through the Bankwest website, your personal information will be safeguarded using our secure connection.
Be wary of unsolicited emails sent by people who attempt to gain access to your credit card and personal details by making false claims that the email is being sent by Bankwest.
You should never visit the Bankwest website by clicking a link in an email - always enter "http://www.bankwest.com.au" directly into your web browser. A link in an unsolicited email might not be genuine and you could be disclosing confidential access details to an unauthorised third party.
Credit card security
Here are some tips to help you protect your credit card:
- check your credit card statements on a regular and frequent basis, so that any suspicious transactions are discovered quickly. You can view your credit card statements online at anytime by logging into Bankwest Online Banking (BOB)
- if you notice any unauthorised or suspicious transactions billed to your account, please contact us immediately either by calling the Bankwest Contact Centre on 13 17 18, or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are travelling overseas, please advise us of your travel dates, locations and intended use of your credit card while you are away. You can email email@example.com with your full name, contact details whilst overseas and the last 4 digits of the cards you intend to use overseas.
Shopping online with your credit card
Here are some tips for shopping online securely with your Bankwest credit card:
- Take care to only provide your credit card and personal details to reputable companies that are well known and can be trusted.
- Take extra care when making first time purchases from companies.
- Check the validity of the contact details shown on company websites - a phone number helps to provide greater reassurance, especially if you experience any problems when making your purchase and need to ring the company.
- Reputable companies will use a secured payments processor on its website - this means that your payment will be processed using a secure SSL connection that encrypts information as it is transmitted over the Internet, this is known as Secure Sockets Layer (SLL) technology.
- Examples of secure payment processing environments include websites that show the MasterCard® Secure Code or Verified by Visa logo.
- When shopping online with your credit card, you may also be asked to provide your CVV number - this number is located on the signature strip of your card. It is an extra level of security that helps prevent the unauthorised use of your credit card.
The above tips will help you to keep your credit card safe and secure while you enjoy the advantages of online shopping.