Bankwest shed index
04 September 2009
The inaugural "Shed Index" reveals that the 90% of primary shed users are men, spending two hours or less a week in the shed, generally wood turning, spray painting with some even installing a stereo or bar fridge to hang out in their backyard refuge.
The "Shed Index" also revealed some disturbing facts around sheds. Five per cent of sheds have been burgled, with thieves taking off with on average, contents worth $1,911, 16 per cent of men reported they had an accident in their shed, with one in five needing a trip to the doctors.
Whether women do or do not understand the importance of the Great Aussie Shed, there is no doubt that "shed time" is actually good for relationships with three out of four men said their partner didn't mind them spending time in the back yard.
Interesting "Great Aussie Shed" Facts
- 65% of shed owners enjoy their shed time.
- Contents of the average shed are worth $8,908.00.
- 23% of men say the global financial crisis has stopped them buying tools for their shed (good hint for Father's Day gifts).
- 6% of men say they've used part of the government's stimulus package for their shed.
- 20% say their proudest achievement in their shed is building furniture.
>Download a copy of the full report and a breakdown on each state below: