Bankwest's Gen Ys still at home survey
24 August 2009
Bankwest's "Gen Ys Still At Home" survey is the latest survey in our Social Indicator Series.
The survey was conducted between May and July this year and surveyed 1,511 Australians across all age groups and educational and professional backgrounds.
The survey revealed that stay at home Generation Y are the most expensive generation to raise in history, costing $242,000 each.
The latest Bankwest Social Indicator Series Report shows just how expensive the best educated and tech-savvy generation in history has been for Baby Boomer parents.
The key insights are that:
- The average rent paid by Gen Ys to their parents in 2009 is only $70.
- Those Gen Ys who do contribute to household bills only tip in an average $44 to the family kitty.
- Only 30% of parents with adult Gen Y kids living at home don't think their kids take them for granted.
- 60% of parents think their adult Gen Y kids living at home don't pull their weight around the house.
- 53% of Gen Ys say they are still living at home because they can't afford to move out of home.
Download a copy of the Survey Report below: